Friday, September 30, 2011

Thing #5 - Perspectives on Web 2.0/School 2.0 and the Future of Education

Web 2.0 is regular, everyday people in all walks of life, old and young, surfing the Web for entertainment and information pertaining to every aspect of their lives. People turn to the internet for everything, so it makes sense that schools should use internet tools to connect with students in the classroom.
 Enter School 2.0, which is adapted from Web 2.0, and can cause learning to be relevant in a fresh new way. Computer “anything” seems to capture student interest. I believe that it makes perfect sense to use School 2.0 tools in education, since children of all ages seem to live on the internet when they are not at school.  I think that it is hard to fathom just how rapidly technology seems to be advancing, and I wonder what that means for classrooms in the future.   
School systems recognize and are addressing these issues with the installment of School 2.0 –which has introduced blogging, podcasts, videos, and wikis into the curriculum, in order to engage students in more meaningful instruction.  Students participate through collaboration and social interaction, using the 2.0 tools, and they are more involved in their learning experiences as a result.  The challenge for schools is to keep up with technological advancements and the social trends, so that students stay connected and actively engaged. The perspectives that I read all echoed the necessity for technology in education for both now and in the future. I think this is also part of self-education for teachers – to stay informed of new technologies that could be incorporated into the lesson plans to keep learning relevant and interesting. 

1 comment:

  1. School 2.0 has endless possibilities. It is exciting and anxious to think about where the road of education can lead to. Before thing 5 and 6 I had no clue about web 2.0 tools. I have been using them and never thought twice about the technology behind them. Time for me to jump in and get use to technology.

    ReplyDelete