Friday, September 30, 2011

Thing #8 – Flickr Mashups


I had a lot of fun exploring the Flickr mashups.  They are very easy to use, and I enjoyed playing with Spell with Flickr, Puzzles and Mosaic Maker.  I think that technology adds a new dimension to creativity in the classroom, and I know that students would enjoy trying different combinations and features.  There are so many opportunities to experiment with Mosaic Maker to use it as a fun, creative exercise and also to reinforce the lesson plan.  To energize a learning activity, students could use the apps to collage pictures from history or literature and present their experiences to the class – either as group presentations or individually.  That’s just one example – the possibilities are endless.  I think that these applications could provide a lively alternative to traditional teaching – a fun way to enhance learning.  I enjoyed the Spell with Flickr and tried out different fonts for several different words.  The Puzzles app was easy to use as well.  I think the Mosaic Maker is great for giving family photos a different look, and I have seen some examples of that on Facebook; but I am not a big fan of sharing personal photos on the internet, and I really wouldn’t advocate that practice for children in the classroom.  Above is a picture of my practice mosaic in the row format that I made with my "wallpaper" photos.  I think the mosaic effect is more pronounced when more than four photos are incorporated but it illustrates what the overall effect would be if more photos were incorporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment