Google Docs and Zoho Writer are two web-based applications that offer document set up, file management, and edit/share options for group collaboration. Both programs track and color code the editing as it occurs, in order to provide an accurate document history and to show all group members and the instructor the final edited version.
Both applications exist inside the web browser and can be saved to a personal account that can be accessed from any computer. The formatting and layout of the two are similar to Microsoft Word and Excel. Google Docs is easier to navigate and has more education templates that can be adapted for classroom use. Zoho more closely resembles Micosoft with its tabs and page layout, but I had more difficulty maneuvering around the site. For example, I was unable to conduct a search for “education templates” – although I was able to locate them when I scrolled through the entire list one by one.
The instructional benefits of both pieces of software are the simple editing and collaboration options. A teacher can set up a project and form a group for collaboration and then review each student’s progress on the project through the version tracking feature. He or she can add comments and editing as well. The document is stored at Google Docs or Zoho, and this outside storage capability eliminates the problems of incompatible Microsoft versions. Teachers can also use the editing and group collaboration to consult with colleagues on professional research and projects.
I decided to test both programs by creating a Lesson Plan on each site to save and export for my blog post. Google Docs has a Lesson Plan template, so I used that to fill out my lesson plan. Zoho has an extensive list of templates, some which are teacher-oriented, but there is no Lesson Plan template, and I was unable to make modifications to a pre-formatted template that was not set up for lesson plan. I ended up typing my lesson plan on a blank document, and it reminded me of creating a document in Microsoft Word.
I think that both of these sites are very effective classroom tools, and the whole editing / collaboration concept is genius! I enjoyed experimenting and comparing the two sites, and of course, I discovered that there are pros and cons in both. Google Docs is more user-friendly, but the drawback is the requirement for very fast internet hook-up when doing any typing. I had some problems typing my lesson plan document directly on the site, because I was typing faster than my wireless connection. The letters kept being skipped, and I had to go back and add the missing letters. I would use Google Docs again, but I would upload a Word document to the site for storage, editing, and/or group collaboration. The templates are also easier to modify than the ones in Zoho. I would also use Zoho Writer again, but I would have to become more familiar with the settings and the set-up to be more comfortable with the program.
I have posted the lesson plan document (in the post right before this one) that I exported from Zoho Writer, and it was a very simple procedure. I was unable to upload an HTML from Google Docs to my Blog: so right now, Zoho is my favorite of the two.
I couldn't post on my blog from Google Docs either....or Zoho. I kept getting error messages. I followed the instructions as far as I know... I'm going to try posting from Microsoft Word. I didn't see the lesson plan template on Zoho. How cool is that? I'll have to go search for it now!
ReplyDelete