Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Thing #11 - Finding Good Feeds

I explored Edublog and also Technorati to get an idea of what these search sites have to offer.  I preferred Technorati , not so much for directing me to a blog, but because I liked the site’s features and uncomplicated set up.  Searches on Technorati can be conducted by subject category to find blogs relating to a particular subject, or you can network in the soapbox venting area with other bloggers.   I arranged for several blogs to come to me through RSS feed:  The Pioneer Woman, The Gannett Blog (I work for Gannett), Cool Cat Teacher, Teach Science and Math, and Pop Teacher.  I enjoyed reading the live feed with the most recent news.  One advantage of having Pioneer Woman come in through RSS is that I can actually see the site.  When I try to go to there directly, my computer keeps freezing.  I also tried searching on Syndic8.  I did not like that site as much because cosmetically the site was less appealing and not designed as systematically, which makes it more difficult to maneuver.  A lot of the search sites that I explored were education-related.  There were quite a few news streams – also entertainment, music and hobbies.  The internet choices seem to be limitless.  There are also other blog search engines out there that categorize by subject, and there are top blog lists – I looked through a few, but I didn’t find one of interest.  I was primarily focused on teacher support and sharing networks that would discuss new ideas and strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment