I have always used Google as my primary search engine, but I never really thought about the other web tools that are available. I explored the igoogle and Google alerts, and I am very impressed with both of these applications -- especially the Google alerts. I think that requesting alerts is a great research tool because it can provide current information for any given subject, and each alert also allows the requester to indicate the frequency and amount of information to be received. It is very user-friendly and requires no more than entering a topic and pressing the “search” button. My information delivered within minutes. The igoogle is another simple tool for customizing a Google home page. The design is created based on personal preference and interests, and all I had to do was select my preferences, and my selections were then integrated into my Google home page. I picked news, human interest, entertainment, food, and humor, and now my page features recipes, news updates, and Calvin and Hobbes. There is also a clock and calendar, as well as up-to date weather and a link to personal email. Optional apps are games and also a joke-of-the-day and quote-of-the-day that can be included.
I think that both of these web tools are useful applications that could part of the classroom computer. A home page can be quickly designed to include news and weather, and Google alerts can provide up-to-date information for student research on any given subject. The alert request reminds me of the RSS feeds because the information can deliver directly to my email and save valuable time. I will definitely be using these two links in the future.
http://www.google.com/ig
test comment
ReplyDelete