Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Thing #10 – Set Up an RSS Reader and Add Feeds

The RSS feed reminds me of an electronic paper boy.  It delivers the news to the internet subscriber, which is a wonderful timesaver for teachers and parents alike, as well as an added benefit for students.  Teachers can use the RSS feed to update parents about classroom events and to communicate with students about schoolwork.  The feed can also be utilized to view blogs about teaching, about breakthroughs in technology, and also to be used as an instructional aid in the classroom.  RSS will save time because I can select the sites that I would personally like to view or that I would like the class to view for daily enrichment.  Daily newspapers or scholarly sources could be piped in to afford students an opportunity to learn more about current events and to keep informed about what is going on in today's world.  I think probably the most beneficial aspect is that the RSS feed can be used to introduce student-led learning, and this activity will prove that surfing the internet is a valuable and relevant classroom tool that encourages independent research and learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment